The romance of an autumn vacation in the Italian Capital.
10 Oct 2019
Autumn is the best time to visit Italy, the crowds have gone, temperatures are pleasant and fall delicacies appear on restaurant menus. The award-winning UNAHOTELS Decò Roma is perfectly placed for romantic autumn holidays in Rome. It's right on the doorstep of galleries, museums and tourist attractions. You'll receive a warm Italian welcome while the hotel's restaurant offers a seasonal menu of local food.
The best places to visit in Rome in autumn.
Rome is one of the best autumn break destinations in Italy, with plenty of things to see and activities to enjoy. Among the best places to celebrate autumn in Rome is the Vatican. You really can spend a whole day here soaking up the architecture, the decor, the gardens and the art.
Autumn sees the start of the Opera season in Rome, so either indulge yourself with tickets to a favourite opera or take a backstage tour of the Teatro dell’ Opera di Roma, considered one of Europe's finest opera houses. And, whether you want to climb the steps of the Colosseum, stroll around the Forum, admire the Pantheon or dip into world-class museums such as MAXXI - The National Museum of 21st-Century Art, you'll find the queues have disappeared along with the summer crowds.
Some of the best things to do in Rome in the fall.
While sunsets and candle-lit dinners are always romantic, sharing Rome's history and heritage with a loved one is also fun. If you're travelling to Rome in autumn put a few of the following suggestions on your to-do list:
- Snuggle up under a cosy rug and take a horse carriage tour of the Eternal City.
- Take a boat trip on the River Tiber, getting a different perspective on attractions such as St. Peter's Basilica.
- Enjoy a romantic stroll in the Villa Borghese Gardens. As the seasons change, the trees take on their autumn hues.
- Rent a classic Vespa and explore the narrow cobbled streets of Trastevere, a delight both during the day and after sunset.
- Finally, what could be more romantic than tossing a coin in the Trevi Fountain and making a wish.
Travelling to Rome in autumn for culinary delights.
An excellent reason to visit Rome in autumn is to really savour the best of local produce which the restaurants will be showcasing. Fall is the peak season for white truffles while sweet pumpkins and other vegetables such as porcini mushrooms, radicchio and broccoli rabe are being harvested and used to their best advantage in stews, risottos and pasta dishes. If you fall in love with truffles, what could be more romantic than joining a truffle-hunting tour?
Autumn in Rome weather and event guide.
- While summers can be unbearably hot in the city and winters are often very wet, when you take an autumn vacation in Rome you get the best of its Mediterranean climate with dry days and temperatures just perfect for exploring the city and its attractions. The blue skies make a perfect backdrop for photographs while the sunsets really do take on a more dramatic colour.
- Autumn is also the time for the return of cultural events. We've already seen that it marks the start of the new opera season, while the Roma Film Festival takes place each October. Held in the Auditorium Parco della Musica it is marked by screenings of new films and old favourites while famous actors take to the stage for Q&As.
- The Roma Jazz Festival is usually held in November and sees international players entertaining both locals and visitors. Also taking place in the fall is the Festival Internazionale di Musica e Arte Sacra where orchestras and ensembles perform classical concerts in basilicas and churches across the city. Other popular autumn events are the EurHop Beer Festival, a celebration of craft brewing and the Spring Attitude Festival, devoted to electronic music. While Halloween is not a typical Italian holiday, it is celebrated more every year and many attractions and nightclubs host Halloween parties and events.
What to pack for autumn in Rome.
No Rome travel guide for fall should neglect tips on how to dress for autumn in Rome. The trick for packing for an autumn vacation in Rome is comfort with style. The Italians appreciate elegance so for daytime think loafers, ankle boots or designer trainers for tackling cobbled streets. Wear with jeans in autumn shades and layers of cosy jumpers and padded jackets finished with scarves. For evening romance, pack chinos and shirts for men while ladies should pack floaty midi-dresses or skirts and blouses to top with a cashmere cardigan or light wool coat.
If you think an autumn holiday in Rome has just enough romance for you then visit Gruppo UNA and book your room at the UNAHOTELS Decò Roma.