A medieval, walled town, also ideally located for day trips to Siena.
2 Jan 2020
This medieval, walled town is ideally located for day trips to Siena and Pienza, and also a perfect base for hiking or cycling in the lovely surrounds of the Val d'Orcia and Val di Chiana valleys.
The town has attracted higher numbers of holidaymakers and visitors in recent years, as it was the location for the New Moon, Twilight saga sequel. However, the visitor throngs and queues experienced during holidays to cities like Venice, Florence, and Rome won't be a problem here - even during peak, summer season!
What is so good about holidaying in Montepulciano?
As you explore the beautiful town of Montepulciano, you'll recognise just what a gem it is. The lovely Old Town is full of hidden squares, churches and pretty alleys and walkways to investigate, while the elegance of its Renaissance palaces put many of Italy's best-loved cities and towns to shame! Stroll along the town's ancient walls and drink in the views of the valley landscapes, or take a short trip out to some of the vineyards producing the popular Nobile wine to appreciate local culture even more.
Some of Montepulciano's most beautiful sights and popular events include:
- Piazza Grande, the town's main square and location for popular outdoor events and celebrations throughout the year. Drink in the ambience of this pretty square and admire its Duomo and palaces while sipping steaming coffee or something a little stronger!
- Explore the town's main street, the Corso, and browse its range of exclusive boutiques and retail shops
- Head off from the Corso along one of the many narrow alleys to discover more lovely, ancient churches and palaces or drop into one of the town's hidden, historic wine cellars
- Stroll the ancient city walls and drink in the outstanding views of the surrounding valleys. Take the time to admire the two main gates of the town, the Porto delle Farine and the Porta al Prato
- Climb the tower of Palazzo del Comune while visiting the Piazza Grande. The views from the tower are spectacular and on a clear day you'll see right across to Siena!
- Explore the ancient churches of Santa Maria dei Servi and San Biagio to view some of the best examples of Renaissance architecture and art in Montepulciano. One important tip to keep in mind when you step into any local churches is to ensure you're dressed modestly. You can never be certain whether services are being held, and most Italians take their faith seriously. Women should take a long scarf or shawl out with them to cover the decolletage, while men need to ensure they're wearing a shirt or Tee
- Keep a lookout for symbols and illustrations of Montepulciano's Medici family links during your trips around town. The Medicis were famed for their patronage from the early 13th century through to the mid-16th century, so you'll spot lots of their traditional Medici coats of arms and pictorial or architectural symbols throughout all your local explorations
- The last Sunday in August is the traditional date for the Montepulciano Bravio delle Botti race and sure to be a hit with any visitor. Locals race to roll full wine barrels through the town's winding streets in this exciting competition
- Thermal waters and mud baths have been popular therapies in Montepulciano since Roman times, check out all the contemporary local spas to find the best treatments and relax!
Don't neglect to sample the local Nobile wines and traditional, handmade pasta pici with meat or cheese sauce during your stay!
Popular nearby coastal destinations.
Tuscany is also renowned for its spectacular coastline and Blue Flag beaches, approximately 100 miles away from Montepulciano. Some of the most popular seaside resorts include Viareggio, Forte dei Marmi, Orbetello, Portoferraio, Pietrasanto, and Camaiore. Why not make your memorable Tuscany 2020 holiday even more perfect by booking a two-centre holiday to explore all the ocean delights of the Versilia beach resorts, then follow on with a relaxing stay in the heart of the countryside?
Partner with Gruppo UNA and experience the best of Montepulciano and Tuscany in 2020
Take the time to browse the Gruppo UNA website now, and discover more great reasons to visit Montepulciano in 2020. Our Relais Villa Grazianella | UNA Esperienze and wine estate is the most perfect destination for relaxing holidays with opportunities to enjoy the most exquisite culinary experiences. Partner your Montepulciano holiday with a break at our Versilia Lido | UNA Esperienze, and enjoy the most fantastic two-centre, a Tuscan holiday of a lifetime in 2020.