A slice of Venetian culture.
3 Aug 2019
This season brings with it some of the finest events to the city, from art and film exhibitions to jazz festivals and rowing regattas. It is fair to say that summer events in Venice provide an extraordinary opportunity to experience one of the most interesting and intriguing locations in the world. There is so much to see and do, but we have narrowed the list down to the best events in Venice to inspire a trip to one of the jewels in Italy's crown.
Top Summer Festivals in Venice.
- Venice has a vibrant festival circuit that runs throughout the year, but in the summer, the city truly comes alive. La Biennale di Venezia, one of the best events in Venice, happens every year but changes its focus between odd and even years – art on odd-numbered years and architecture on even-numbered years. The festival runs throughout the summer and is held from May 11th until November 24th. The city is transformed and many pavilions and independent venues around the city hosts specific showcases of contemporary art.
- When the temperatures soar in the last weekend in August and the first in September, make sure to check out the world-renowned Venice Film Festival, the oldest of its kind in the world. This celebration of film as art brings films from all over the world and draws a list of star-studded guests to the city. During the festival, make sure to head to one of the open-air cinema screenings and enjoy the magic of the silver screen in the shadow of Venetian Gothic architecture.
- The Festa del Redentore (Holiday of the Redeemer) is a Venetian festival held in particular regard by locals and is celebrated to give thanks for the ending of a devastating plague in 1575. After this tragic event, the famed Italian architect Palladio was commissioned to construct a magnificent church on the island of Giudecca. Today, locals and tourists make a journey across the island to pay respects and then celebrate in the evening, sailing up and down the lagoon on brightly coloured boats, often with picnics laden with delicious Italian produce. Later in the evening, you can sit by the lagoon and watch a must-see fireworks display that brings the event to a dazzling close.
Party events in Venice – Veneto Jazz.
The perfect antidote to a hot summers day and night in Venice is unwinding with a glass of local wine and enjoying the beautiful music of the Veneto Jazz company, who play the region from June until August in Venice. Performances are well attended and take place in many famous locations, including the breathtaking opera house, Teatro la Fenice. The festival brings artists from all over the world, both up-and-coming and famous.
What's on in Venice? Must-visit museums.
With a past that is so rich in art and history, it is no wonder that Venice has some of the finest galleries and museums in the world. When you are finished admiring the fresco-lined streets and amazing architecture of the city, make sure to head to some of the museums below and absorb some Italian culture.
- Peggy Guggenheim Collection – This collection, once owned by famous art collector Peggy Guggenheim, is held in a wonderfully understated palace on the canal and houses works that span cubism to expressionism and plenty in between. Admire the glorious paintings as you wander through her home and get a sense of its grandeur.
- Museo della Fondazione Querini Stampalia – If you want to be transported back in time and get a real sense of what it was like to live as a Venetian aristocrat in the 19th century, this museum provides a beautifully preserved interior and includes many personal treasures of sumptuous design. It is a true slice of noble life and includes art, sculpture as well as fabrics and furniture.
- Doge's Palace – Before a mayor, Venice was run by a Doge as a wealthy independent state. The Rialto area of Venice houses a palace that was started in the year 810, with many renovations and improvements added in the periods following. What remains is an opulent palace, sitting on the edge of St Mark's Square where you can absorb the elegance of life in the Venetian government.
Pick Gruppo Una for your Venice summer break.
In the heart of the historical Canareggio district of Venice is the Maison Venezia | UNA Esperienze, a beautifully restored grand hotel. This hotel is the perfect hub for a summer festival getaway in Venice, providing a luxurious venue close to famous landmarks and festival locations. Make sure to check out more articles on our website, and wherever you head in Italy this summer, allow Gruppo Una to help make your holiday magical.